Monday, August 15, 2005

Leading the Consumer Rebellion & Joe McGuire

The LCR staff caught up with top businessman Joe McGuire for a one-on-one interview. Joe and his lovely bride Jane have three active boys and live on a beautiful property outside of Gaylord, Michigan. Joe is a former doctor who specialized in podiatry. Joe ran three offices when he first saw the Team plan, but is now full-time building the business and enjoying his new-found time.

LCR: Joe, as a doctor, you must have had reservations about entering a business that anyone can join?

Joe McGuire: I may have had some status, but I would never have so much status as to pass up a good business plan. When I studied this business, I realized that it would have been a much simpler way to become financially independent than the path I took.

LCR: How did you become a doctor?

Joe McGuire: I actually worked in construction as a manual laborer in Florida before deciding to become a doctor. One day, while working on the roof of a large mansion, the roof fell down and almost decapitated me. I was holding on for dear life thinking, "I need to find something else to do!" Over the next few weeks, I concluded that being a doctor would be my ticket out of construction.

LCR: Your fellow employees must have thought you were crazy for going from being a construction worker to a doctor?

Joe McGuire: I was definitely the big joke around the work-site. Nobody believed I would stick with it and finish. I was determined to prove them wrong. I didn’t know it at the time, but I also was suffering from Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), which, as you can imagine, made studying next-to impossible. I had to shut myself in the bathroom to eliminate distractions, and then I would study all night.

LCR: Your persistence is incredible. What did you do after graduation?

Joe McGuire: After completing my internship, I started my own business. I always wanted to run my own show and with a few hundred thousand dollars of debt I became my own businessman!

LCR: Excuse me, a few hundred thousand dollars of debt?

Joe McGuire: Between school loans and business loans I had run up a significant debt for the right just to "open the doors." When I saw the Team plan and realized for a pittance I would receive training and instruction on how to run my own business, I was sold. I know what a traditional business costs to run and operate, and I am here to tell you that there is no better business investment than the Team business model. In four years I matched what it took me over a decade to do as a doctor and did it with no debt load.

LCR: What advice would you give professionals entering the Team business?

Joe McGuire: Look below the surface of this business and study the leadership team that is in place. The leaders of the Team are engineers, doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc. These guys were all making six-figures before they joined the Team business. If it was worth their time to build it, it is probably worth yours. If you're looking for a way out of the stress and debt, I can recommend no better business vehicle than the Team. Do not let status keep you from residual income and relationships that will last a lifetime.

LCR: Joe, thanks for sharing your time and wisdom.